Thursday, May 28, 2009

05-28-09

05-28-09
I got up early to get another part for the frig as it still had not healed itself overnight. I figured that it had to have something to do with the starting of the compressor and since it wasn't the start capacitor it had to be the start relay. I got the relay $38, still no return on electrical parts, it's either this or a new frig. I put it in, and BINGO it works. That saved me about thirty grand that Dixie would have made me spend for the new kitchen built around the new frig. Add that to my resume, appliance repair technichan. So we are off to have lunch at the oldest continuously open Steak House in Brandon. I remember that Mexico Grande was there before Jesse's. I loved their scorcho sauce on their buritos, man it was hot. But I digress. Frank opened the restaurant as a hamburger joint in 1980 and it grew into what it is today. In fact it is exactly like it was 30 years ago. Same tables same furnishings same everything, just better food. They have added a new bar in the front for busy days but other than that it's the same. It's time for a complete building and furnishing overhaul and cleaning. It's dark in the main dining with a fireplace for cold days(yes we have cold days in Florida)and both bars, the solarium front room has windows and this is where we prefer to be seated, in a booth. We get what I call the Indian Booth, there is a picture of a very somber Indian with the inscription of "THAT YOU MAY NEVER EXPERIENCE THE HUMILITY THAT THE POWER OF THE AMERICAN GOVERNMENT HAS REDUCED ME TO, IS THE WISH OF HIM, WHO, IN HIS NATIVE FORESTS WAS ONCE AS PROUD AND BOLD AS YOURSELF. WHAT OUR GOVERNMENT DID TO THE INDIANS WAS HORRIBLE AND SHOULD BE A WARNING OF WHAT IT CAN AND SLOWLY IS DOING TO ITS HARD WORKING CITIZENS OF TODAY, I'm off my soap box now so back to Jesses. The tables by the windows have a fake tiffany type lamp shade that you will clunk your head on everytime that you sit or stand, even though the server always warns you about hitting them. There is a large fish tank that separates the front room from the main room. You don't go there for the decor you go there for their original "Jesse's Special", a 1/2 pound charbroiled chopped beef, smothered in sauteed mushrooms, crisp bacon, grilled onions and provolone cheese topped with shredded lettuce, chopped tomato and their homemade ranch dressing, $8.50, this is what Dixie ordered. When it comes out it looks like a regular salad but all the goodies are hidden until you cut into this Jesse's Original. I went with the their 8 oz. lunch prime rib and a baked potato $9 plus $1.25 for the baked potato. I don't know how Frank's prime rib is so tender and flavorful, I'm just glad that it is. It's a full menu, full liquor, full delicious place to go. Drafts are 2 4 1 all the time except 7 to 8 P.M. The chains may pull in more people but Jesse's taste the best. I'll tell you a funny story about what happened at Jesse's 18 years ago, before I married Dixie. I took this girl, I'll call Teresa because that's what her name was, to dinner. We had been partying on my boat all day and we were in need of substantial food to offset the alcohol. We eat dinner and I ask for the check and I hit the head(oh yeah the men's rest room needs to be redone also). I come back and there are 4 servers around my table. I see that Teresa has passed out at the table and they are holding her up so that she doesn't fall on the floor. I don't bat an eye, I non chalantly sign the receipt, leave a big tip, throw her over my shoulder and out the door I went. So Jim and Judy C. have emailed us and told us about a place that opened about 2 months ago, "Incognito", that is having a Martini tasting tonight between 5 and 7 P.M. naturally we are in. It's located between Mira Bay and Apollo Beach so there is a opportunity to get all sorts of high rolling people. We get there and a guy is playing Sax and singing(not at the same time), pretty good but he likes his long breaks. It is in a brand new South Shore Area shopping center, one that is probably only 10% occupied so I figured it would be empty when we got there. The owner Kevin and Christina(they are married) are there and the place has a decent crowd at 5:30. Carl the bartender gets me an Ultra and frosted glass, Dixie gets the Sampler martinis being offered tonight, they are served in tumbler glasses and each glass has about 4 oz. in it so with 3 samplers that's (where are our 5th graders when we need them) 3X4=12 oz of booze for $6, I said $6 such a deal. Tonight they are featuring The tropical Breeze-Malibu Rum,Blue Curacao,pineapple juice,& grenadine which was super sweet even for Dixie. Next the Pomegranite Cosmo-Kettle One Vodka,Cointreau,lime and pomegranit juice, more to Dixies liking.Last the Show stopper The White Peach Lemon Drop-Absolute Mandrin,peach schnopps,fresh squeezed lemon juice. Like Sears there was Good,Better,Best. This place is not about the food, appetizers and pizza are available but from what I saw It's about the Booze and People,$20.88 for 3 Ultras 1 martini tasting and 1 Full pomegranite cosmo served in a proper glass. It's only been open 2 months and already it has a good following. Jim and Judy are also sampling and they suggest a new restaurant in Apollo Beach, The Waterside Grill(Not on the Water) so we head there. We walk in and what a nice place. There are lots of people eating on the restaurant side. We choose the bar side that has glass partitions seperating the bar and restaurant. In the bar is Bob W. ,Dick C., and Anthony and Kathy D.and a couple of their friends eating and drinking. It's a small world. I introduce myself to Julie, the owner (along with her husband Chris the Chef), and I tell her how great the place looks. Keith and Jeff(from Salutes) are bartending so we decide to eat at the bar. Jim orders the 14 oz New York Strip with mashed potatoes, medium rare and melting in your mouth. Judy gets the gourmet Mac n Cheese, 3 cheeses with chicken, bacon(a little heavy on bacon) and peas with toasted bread crumbs on top. Dixie and I split 3 appetizers, the Everglades Chowder-tons of gator,crab,& conch in a super light cream broth, a little more spice and this is a 10. We also split the Beef Carpaccio with onions capers & shaved cheese, melt in your mouth good, along with Pan lightly seared tuna with sesame seeds, this is how you spell fresh tuna. We are all talking during the meal and Anthony is across the bar and you would have thought we were in NY. We're talking across the bar not caring who hears us, like a big family table, you'll feel right at home in this place. Only opened 4 weeks ago this is THE place to watch in South Shore. Chris was so busy in the kitchen we didn't get a chance to meet. We are headed to Siesta Key tomorrow so we call it an early evening, and out the door we went. See Ya Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment